Do You Know the Risk Factors for Oral Cancer?
Did you know an estimated 50,000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer every year in the United States, and there is a death from oral cancer once every hour?
(Source: American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons).
Know Your Risk Factors:
- Tobacco Use
- Smoking cigarettes, pipes, cigars, or using snuff, chew, or smokeless tobacco
- Alcohol Use (especially when you use tobacco at same time)
- Exposure to Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Physical Trauma
- Infectious Diseases
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Poor Nutrition
What You Can Do:
- Check out this infographic from American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Perform monthly self-exams at home.
- After removing any dentures, look and feel inside your lips, in front of your gums, tongue, and on the roof of your mouth. Feel for lumps ...